"The mark of an immature man is that he would die knobly for a cause. The mark of a mature man is that he would live humbly for one" - Catcher in the Rye -WARNING WRITER SPELLING CHALLENGED! But Sometimes you have to say "what the fuck!"

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Were not gonna take it anymore… I would rather DIE on my feet than live on my knees

Repost from 11/2/04


“I would rather DIE on my feet… than live on my knees!” -Vader’s Hero Magneto

Our Right to Protest Our Government
2000 was quite a year for me. This was my most political year, as I participated in and led several protests in Washington DC. My three most memorable protests occurred April 16, May 5, and July 4th. My activism and protesting stopped after the election in November. All of my activism and government protesting occurred while Bill Clinton was president. Due to our current political mayhem, I will briefly touch on my experience as a WTO activist. The other protest stories will have to wait for another post.



WTO Mayhem in DC
April 16, 2000, I participated in the WTO protest. From this Website “The next citizen showdown against corporate globalisation will be on April 16 and 17, when thousands of people come to Washington, D.C., to protest — through legal demonstrations and/or civil disobedience — the politics of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank”



She's Dressed in Black Again
For this protest, I dressed in all black, with my 24-hole Doc Martins and a black bomber jacket. The city of DC shut down all public transportation and businesses near the epicenter or Whitehouse. I didn’t know this until my Metro train stopped 8 blocks from where I planned on meeting friends on Pennsylvania avenue. The long walk alone, creeped me out, as I saw hundreds of police officers in riot gear giving me the stare down. From the will of God, I made my way to the meeting spot and found my friend’s who had came down from New York.



Anarchy in the Nation's Capitol
As we walked to the epicenter, I felt as if I was in a war zone. Everything was closed down. The usual vendors that littered the DC streets were absent. Helicopters flew overhead intimidating the crowds. We passed protestors crying and reddened from pepper spray. Fear and adrenaline filled the air as thick as thieves. I remember looking at a statue near the Whitehouse and seeing an anarchy symbol spray painted across.

The Black Brigade and Twisted Sister
Once we reached the epicenter, we joined the black brigade and began to march. The energy was the most amazing and incredible experience. We marched for several blocks chanting the lyrics to an 80’s Twisted Sister song.

Oh We're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

we've Got The Right To Choose And
there Ain't No Way We'll Lose It
this Is Our Life, This Is Our Song
we'll Fight The Powers That Be Just
don't Pick Our Destiny 'cause
you Don't Know Us, You Don't Belong

oh We're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

oh You're So Condescending
your Gall Is Never Ending
we Don't Want Nothin', Not A Thing From You
your Life Is Trite And Jaded
boring And Confiscated
if That's Your Best, Your Best Won't Do

oh.....................
oh.....................
we're Right/yeah
we're Free/yeah
we'll Fight/yeah
you'll See/yeah

oh We're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

oh We're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore
no Way!

oh.....................
oh.....................
we're Right/yeah
we're Free/yeah
we'll Fight/yeah
you'll See/yeah

we're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
we're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

we're Not Gonna Take It, No!
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
we're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

just You Try And Make Us
we're Not Gonna Take It
come On
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
you're All Worthless And Weak
we're Not Gonna Take It Anymore
now Drop And Give Me Twenty
we're Not Gonna Take It
oh Crinch Pin
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh You And Your Uniform
we're Not Gonna Take It Anymore



The Election that Ended it All
-After Bush won the election later in the year, my protesting stopped. For one thing, I moved back to Washington State. I also did not feel safe protesting the government. This especially rang true after September 11, 2001 and the passage of the Patriot Act. Then the Iraq War happened, and being that I’m pro-military, I would never and have never protested the war. I support our troops 100%, and think they need all the advocacy and free blow jobs they can get.

Fight the Powers that Be - Flava Flav Style
In any event, I hope the spirit of fight is with us tonight with our election. Although, whoever wins, I will support our President and stand behind them. I got this from my yin/yang political sistah Blonde Sagacity’s blog. I too, promise to adhere to this.

Post-Election Pledge
After the election results are in, I promise to:
: Support the President, even if I didn't vote for him.
: Criticize the President, even if I did vote for him.
: Uphold standards of civilized discourse in blogs and in media while pushing both to be better.
: Unite as a nation, putting country over party, even as we work together to make America better.

Followers

Blog Archive