"The mark of an immature man is that he would die knobly for a cause. The mark of a mature man is that he would live humbly for one" - Catcher in the Rye -WARNING WRITER SPELLING CHALLENGED! But Sometimes you have to say "what the fuck!"

Friday, June 11, 2004

Tweekers and small towns…. Whats the connection?

I love tweekers…NOT! Why is it that in mullet infested, white trash town this drug runs rapid like the flu? Trailer parks, mullets, flannels, bikers, women with teased out high hair styles, missing teeth, Dire Straits, welfare checks and crank, (speed, crystal, tweek) all live together in tweeked out harmony. Further, what is the connection between white trash and tweek? Is it the cost effective drug of choice for the bottom dwelling masses? Not to be harsh, but I fucking HATE tweekers. I guess Im a drug snob, since Ive been called a “pot head” and I don’t mind ravers and acid heads too much. Tweekers are just a breed of their own. I have also seen many a lives ruined from tweeker habbits and behavior.

Tweakers abound...
Upon moving back to my hometown, I discovered that tweekers abound, and that tweek is the name of the game for most of the locals. How can you tell a tweeker? Lets see… bad skin, missing teeth, bulging eyes, paranoia, and fast non-stop talking that never seems to have a point, and jumps mid sentence. Here are some other clues… Your neighbor spends every night all tinkering in his garage but never seems to get anything accomplished…. Houston we have a problem.

Boy was I stupid
One of my ex-boyfriends went on a tweeker binge once while we were living together. Me being anti-tweek, and somewhat ignorant to that culture, was completely in the dark and oblivious. He stopped sleeping when I did, stayed up at night and put together action figure scenes, went on shopping binges for action figures, and talked incessantly at me (or anyone) about action figures. His skin also broke out and his breath got pretty bad. I remember a stoner friend coming over and taking me aside and pointing out the obvious. “He’s fuckin tweekin cant you see that?” I was shocked, stunned, flabbergasted, and mortified. Here I thought he was just acting weird. Boy was I a fool.

Im not in the bedroom club
Another thing about living where I do at the present; everyone pretty much knows you, and everyone pretty much knows your beliefs on tweak. When I go to a party, people may disappear for a few minutes into the other room (in groups), but they don’t break the shit out in front of me. Though I do appreciate this fact, it gets quite obvious what they are up to after their third trip to the bedroom.

A visit to a tweaker den
Last weekend I went to a friends house for a quick visit before picking up my son from the skating rink. There was a poker party in the dinning room and my friend was in the living room with the door closed. At first I sat down at the poker party, but realized this was a “boys only” scene and decided I should head into the other room. Just as I was about to enter, a strange looking guy emerged from the back room with a huge backpack and overly active mouth. “Hey guys looks like fun” he quipped, as he headed out the door. “Who was that?” I asked the poker table. “Who knows” was the reply. I knocked on the back door to say hi to my friend. Quickly the door was answered and I was greeted by hugs and smiles. I guess I should be familiar with the smell of tweak, but I have too say I am not. Im just not around it that much. There was a strange smell in the air, but I took it for brown weed. My friend looked normal, only she was chewing gum REALLY fast. I also noticed there was no munchies out on the table, and the usual bong load was non-existant. My friend’s boyfriend is bipolar (and a genius) so he always talks really fast and deep. He came down the stairs and started talking at me really fast, and then slips (she’s gonna think Im tweekin). I thought this was a strange thing to pipe in unless you really are tweakin. Then, Im trying to talk to my friend, and some strange man in the chair screams out, in a Turrets syndrome fashion “Im Bored”. I tried to ignore him, but obviously he wanted to talk, so though my back was turned and eyes were rolling, he starts ranting about his girlfriend. Then he decides to take a walk (mind you its 10:00 at night, who walks at that hour?). Luckily, it was my time to go, my ear was talked off and I was starting to feel brain friend. The next day another friend of mine who was at the poker party says “boy they were tweakin in the other room”. I say “really, I didn’t know”. He says “yeah first thing they did when I got there was take me in the back room and offer to sell me some crystal”. Well, they didn’t offer me any. I don’t know whether to take that as a compliment, or an insult. I chose to take it as a compliment, Im glad tweekers know I aint one of them. I don’t want to end up lookin like Im 65 when Im 35 and loosing all my teeth. Plus, Tweekers suck!
Blogarama
Visit my Guestbook
Listed on Blogwise

39 comments:

Michael said...

That's why I stick to coffee. Caffeine doesn't make you break out or lose teeth, but it still causes you to spend hours working like a madman and getting nothing accomplished. That's what I do. Don't call it tweeking; call it blogging. ;)

NotCuredYet said...

Hey, I don't have a clue about tweekers - dope was never my thing. But I read some of your other posts and I think you got a good thing goin' here. I can relate to the small-town shit, being from a fairly small town myself. Funny stuff.

The Dave said...

Tweakin' gives action figures a bad name, I wish they would stick with just pulling apart television sets, rewiring toasters, and cleaning bathrooms...

Anyway, thanks for stopping by my little cubicle, or as I like to call it... my own personal crappy piece of hell on earth.

Vadergrrrl said...

Hi Michael! Great point, too much coffee = up all night blogging and surfing the net.

Thanks! Not Cured Yet, and I hope your problem with sex addiction is working out.

The Dave - tweakers do give action figures a bad name. But in my ex's case, he only got into collecting them, because I was collecting action figures first. That is why I didnt know he was tweekin, I thought the action figures were oh so cool and I dont need to be tweeking for my mind to spin real fast.

Anonymous said...

Very Interesting story, tweakerville, USA
Thank god I'm not from that small town.
Sounds like you need to move vadergrrrl.
I have known many of tweekers, and the outcome has always been the same, they loose everything, teeth, family, cars, friends, jobs, and last but definetely not least there MINDS........

Anonymous said...

I forgot to leave my name for the last post, BILLIE D

jp said...

See, I have a different take on the whole tweaker thing - they're weak minded. They can't live comfortably without unplugging their mind, so they use a controlled substance to do it for them. I drink beer b/c I love the taste, not b/c I'm hoping to get a buzz. If you can't control your mind yourself, then seek professional help immediately.

Just my .02. ;o)

bob said...

interesting post, like reading outtakes from the script for "spun." maybe you should be more selective about the parties you attend.

seriously, though, i suspect the tweaky subculture exists in every town & city, big or small. same shit, different borders.

Justin said...

I have no clue what tweek is. Pardon me while I go and search for internet elucidation.

Justin said...

Oh. Meth.

Jenn said...

Justin hope you never find out first hand!

I live in a small town, well the whole state is small, and it is everywhere here. You know is tweaking after awhile to, you can always spot the signs and the pock marks from where they pick at themselves bloodie! I have about the same oppinion you do about them really. It is just bad stuff.

Tricia said...

They are definitely noticeable, especially in a small town.
And what is up with their mangled pizza faces.
I've seen some tweeked out women who would be so pretty, but they have sores on their faces.
in Ohio the guys called them oozers. Meaning they had been doing it a long time.

Jay said...

Let me tell you a secret Vader, just between you and me: I have never in my life done any kind of drug. Nothing more than ibuprofen. I even refused to take the tranquilizers the dentist gave me.

My friends call me a nerd when they hear that. I laugh and agree. But I figure some day I'll have kids and I can tell my son, "Look, you know-it-all little punk, don't tell me everyone has done it because *I* haven't done it!" And then he'll look at me in awe and pride and he'll be perfect and love me as the superhero than I am.

Jay said...

p.s. love the pic

Anonymous said...

I used to be a tweaker. 7 years ago. Definitely not a glam lifestyle, but in one altered state of mind or another, it's all the same game. This chemical, that chemical... if you use one illicit substance, what can you say to someone that chooses another?

I'm not saying the shit's ok. It was definitely one of the most evil forces in my life. But I must say this... it's usually not productive to judge what you have not experienced...

I'll never do crank again. But i've been there, and I can't say I wouldn't like to be there again. I just can't pay the price.

Anonymous due to current employement.
Kathleen's neighbor.

Robin said...

hey

just saying hey, thanks for dropping by into my random little site (anyone else who wants something new to read - http://garymaddenfanclub.blogspot.com)

just been flicking through your site, i shall return once i have been to the gym. early morning work outs cause pain, as no doubt will be documented later in the day

best
Robin

jakethelad said...

Tweakers hey! Never heard of it. Maybe in Australia it has another name. They do seem to be losers. Mmmmm don't think I'll try it, whatever it is - I don't have all my teeth as it is!!!!! He he he he!

Anonymous said...

I'm an Aussie and I don't know what Tweek is either. Is is the same as speed? Either way it sounds like it really sucks...

Brandy

John said...

We've got tweakers living across the way in an apartment building next to us. People coming and going at all hours of the night, people yelling to be let in, people climbing in and out of one particular window. Thank goodness I live on the second floor.

Jack said...

Great post as always. I just caught up on all of the ones I missed when I was gone. When I first started dealing with tweekers, I coined the term methadists. Not Methodists in the religious sense, but methadists...oh well, you get it. Tweekers, speedfreaks, meth-heads, gakkers...whatever you call 'em, you summed 'em up pretty well in this post. You also gave me inspriration for a post of my own, "Speedfreaks I have known". They really are a world apart from all other types of dopers. Oh, and as a cop, I'm obligated to say this. Quit smoking weed. It's bad. Bad. So quit it.

Debra said...

I think you just described my entire life in high school. All but a very small handful of my friends were tweakin' all the time, and I had a list of the signs pretty quick. Vomitting at the smell of food. Talking constantly at or about nothing. Sketchy behavior (overly paranoid). Losing ten pounds in two days. Disapearing for days on end only to talk about the new boyfriend who lasts as long as the fix.

Then they came up with peanut butter. This stuff was brown instead of white, and is was slow. It melted awaay the weight, so you still had the perfect diet drug which was the initial attraction to most of my friends, but it didn't make you speedy and crazy. You almost couldn't tell. Unfortunately it still gave a nasal drip when snorted so they still complained about that.

But after losing most of my friends in high school trhough that stuff, I was anti-drug girl. Still am. Even weed is a big no-bo to me, and I'm also not in the bedroom club. *shrugs*

Geez! That wa sa long comment! And here I was just stopping by to pop in and say hi! lol

Debra said...

Jay, I'm the same way. I'll stick out a migraine for three days before I'll consider taking anything because I know eventually it'll go away on it's own.

Forgot to mention almost all of our neighbors when we first moved in here were hauled off to jail after they got busted for running meth labs out of their homes. Nice, huh?

Now if y'all wanna add in house wives cooking down sudafed tablets and the like and all their track marks and the like... they're a whole 'nother breed of tweekers! We call them spuncakes!

Dave said...

Hey Vader,
yeah, I only ever did weed, and that was a couple of years ago now. It just started to lose any attraction at some point. I lost a good friend to tweak when I was in the US as well. After he came back from boot camp he just got stuck into the stuff, that he'd never tried before. It was really sad, and was what started to turn me off any drugs.
Ah yes, small town hickville midwest USA. can't beat it... wait...

ThermaZan said...

Cool blog! If you get a chance you may want to visit this stop smoking aids website, it is very cool.

webcams said...

Nice blog you have here! If you get a chance you may want to visit this stop smoking aids site, it's a very nice site.

Anonymous said...

heh cool blog you have here!

I noticed you have a nice blog, read all of your links kept me interested for a good time! well done :)

Thanks for a good read instead of some of the other stuff people post here!

SexualEnhance said...

I have a pill to quit smoking site. It pretty much covers pill to quit smoking related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Chinese Astrology(紫微斗數) site . It pretty much covers Chinese Astrology(紫微斗數) related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Admin said...

Great Video Game blog, thanks for letting me post a message. Great Job with your blog.

Thanks
free game online play video

Anonymous said...

Nice site. Check mine out if you can. free bingo for cash

RisingEnergy said...

Did you visit mine yet? Let me know what you think.. **Rising Energy Newsletter** and my website at Rising Energy Reiki and Psychic Healing Art.. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Rising Energy

Anonymous said...

nice blog enjoyed it :)

Keep up the excellent work! and i bookmarked u!

so cant wait for ur next post! :)

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **Make Big Money**blog. It pretty much covers Make Big Money articles related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

The Blah Brain said...

LOL I found some good stuff here: click right here

doer said...

Hello, you blog is funny and informative. I have a website about improving your adult sex life. Please visit if you want to enjoy sex more in a proper way.

crystalmethaddiction said...

Hi Vadergrrrl,

Great blog you have...My crystal meth addiction blog is not necessarily like yours but
I can use the info I garnered from yours in my future bloggings. Again good job!

crystalmethaddiction said...

Hi Vadergrrrl,

I came across your blog while surfing and I think it is great. I have a quitting meth addiction site that may not be
related to yours but I did find some useful information in your blog that will help me in my own blogging. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hello all, how is everybody?

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody, I just want to say hello! How is everyone??

Followers

Blog Archive