"The mark of an immature man is that he would die knobly for a cause. The mark of a mature man is that he would live humbly for one" - Catcher in the Rye -WARNING WRITER SPELLING CHALLENGED! But Sometimes you have to say "what the fuck!"

Thursday, June 03, 2004

So whatcha, whatcha, whatcha want?!?!

Its great seeing the Beastie Boys coming out with a new album. (Notice Im dating myself here by using the term “album”, I guess I should embrace the new millenium and say “CD”). I have loved the Beastie Boys ever since I first heard them back in my high school days, fighting for my right to party. AdRock was my favorite, I thought he epitomized the cute skater-boy look. When I found out he was dating 80’s It girl Molly Ringwald I was so jealous…. How dare he, didn’t he know I was waiting to turn 18 and marry him?

I played the hell out of my Beastie Boys and Run DMC cassette tapes, memorizing the lyrics, and be-bopping around to the funky rhythms. When I discovered that Beastie Boys and Run DMC were coming on tour, I HAD to see them, I HAD to meet them. This was to be my second concert ever, and definitely one of my most memorable of all time.

Using allowance and babysitting money, my friend Michelle and I anxiously purchased tickets from our local record store. This was the “Raising Hell” tour, and as it was summer we were not in school. We dressed in matching white shorts, Natural Selection t-shirts, white keds without laces, and cute hair ties, yes we looked like the typical 80’s teenyboppers. After taking the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle, we arrived early at the famed Paramount theater. One of the other early “fans” came screaming with great news. “You can exchange your tickets for closer ones at the ticket window”. We gasped, clutching each other with excitement as we exchanged our back row seats for seats in the 5th row. When they opened the doors to the theater, seeing how we were one of the first in line, we were also lucky enough to be the first to get inside. What magical person appeared before our eyes, but MCA, walking backstage via the front of the theater. We almost screamed and wet our pants. I had to act fast, this was our chance. “MCA can we get a hug” I asked in my best tenny bopper fan voice. He looked at us as if we were stray puppies and waved his hand “ah get out of here”. “Please” I begged some more, this time more pathetically “Your our FAVORITE Beastie Boy” (of course this was a lie because we loved Adrock). He stopped, took another look at us and with the love of God said “okay, but don’t tell anybody”. With that he hugged us both, quick, let me get this over with fast hugs, but still hugs no less. What heaven, an actual star… touching us! Though we were both innocent virgins, and not even close to being groupies, we decided our next ploy was to get backstage, or hang out with them after the show. Who wouldn’t want to lose their virginity to a rock star?

The concert was amazing (and that’s an understatement)! We were close enough to have water splashed on us (or spit for that matter). We sang, we dance, we cried, we were definitely in love. RunDMC stole the show (the veteran performers) and we were delighted when the Beastie Boys joined RunDMC on stage for the concerts finale “Walk this Way”. We hoped so bad to end up like the lucky girl in the song “Shes Crafty” who ends up backstage and gets to go home with the band. After the show we were waiting around the back hoping to get an invitation, filled with adrenaline and excitement, and some boys approached us and invited us to an after party at the neighboring hotel. The party was going to be an exclusive Beastie Boys after party, that would include the Beastie Boys themselves! We jumped at the invitation, unable to believe our luck. We get to the party and are immediately served alcohol and cigarettes. The drinks kept flowing, and we, excited to meet our Loves, kept drinking in anticipation. After a while, I began to notice that we were the only girls in the hotel room, and the room seemed to be filled with guys. There was at least 15 guys there, all getting drunk and eyeballing us lecherously. A few of the guys moved to the bed, got comfortable and invited us to sit down. Luckily, I wasn’t that drunk, and I started to get suspicious. “Where are the Beastie Boys?” I asked flatly. We started getting responses from shrugs, to there coming, to “don’t you worry about them, have another drink”. After another hour of waiting, and being put off, I got smart and realized this might not be the safest situation for us two underage girls. The Beastie Boys were not coming, they were probably never going to come, and we needed to get out of there. Avoiding an inevitable date rape train, we narrowly escaped into a cab outside where Michelle proceeded to puke all over the sidewalk. Talk about naivete! Though we didn’t loose our cherries to the Beastie Boys, we were pretty damn close to loosing it to a bunch of horny guys.

In the years to come I would have more adventure with the Beastie Boys. This includes my infamous car accident into a rock wall while turning up the radio to hear “Paul Revere”. I have seen the Beasties in concert at least 4 times since the “Raising Hell” tour, and each show has been Fabulous. At one Lalapalooza in SF I decided to try to hang in the crowd and run in the mosh pit. This will be the last time I attempt anything so daring. It seems at these big venues the frat boys decide that the mosh pit is the place to sexually assault women. I have never been so grabbed, touched, assaulted and fondled over by a crowd in my life. Big lesson learned... avoid mosh pits at large venue events.

I cant wait to see the Beastie Boys in concert again, maybe this time I can take my 14 year old son. He would just love it if I pulled a groupie move and flashed the band my tits (NOT). But it would be a blast to see them again, they do put on a great show, even if it does get me in a little trouble.
Blogarama
Visit my Guestbook
Listed on Blogwise

6 comments:

jp said...

OMG - You love the Beastie Boys also? Marry me now. :o)

Justin said...

"Ya ma busted in, said 'WHAT'S THAT NOISE!?' 'Aw Mom yer just jealous it's the BEAST-IE BOYS!'"

Kick it.

jp said...

Yes, my head still hurts. But my question to you is - "Are your feet sore?" ;o)

Michael said...

I can't wait for the Beastie Boys new album. Thanks for visiting my site earlier. Regarding my gun... gotta pistol in my pocket so ya better be cautious / I'd fly around the world but it makes me nauseous.

Cap said...

I was a NWA fan But that concert tour was great. My sister went with her boyfriend and I got to tag along. I thought it was so cool. Thanks for the great and vivid flashback.

Debra said...

The Beastie Boys so rock! Which reminds me, I should add them to my little Blogger profile now, shouldn't I? lol

I heard this song every morning at 6:45 before 1st perios for my entire freshman year of high school...

I hope she'll say, "Hey me and you should hit the
hay!"
I asked her out - she said, "No way!"
I should've probably guess their gay
So I broke North with no delay
I heard she moved real far away
That was two years ago this May
I seen her just the other day
Jockin' Mike D. to my dismay

Followers

Blog Archive