"The mark of an immature man is that he would die knobly for a cause. The mark of a mature man is that he would live humbly for one" - Catcher in the Rye -WARNING WRITER SPELLING CHALLENGED! But Sometimes you have to say "what the fuck!"

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Broke as a Joke... Working Poor Women

Gas prices today, who can afford to drive? Or commute for that matter. Sheesh! I have to drive 45 minutes one way to get to work each morning, where I sit at a desk and make $13 an hour. I have a college degree from Berkeley and have tried to find a job making more money. It seems like companies hire good paying jobs part time first, or as temporary positions. I applied for a job at the junior college here, and was called back and told; though I was a top candidate I didn’t get the job because they hired internally. They recommended that I start as a temporary, and that is how I get my "foot in the door". Well, as a single mother of a 14-year-old, how would I be able to support myself with a part time job, or with a temporary position? Im not some Stepford wife who has the luxury of accepting these kind of positions for spare change for shopping. I actually have to pay rent, bill, groceries, GAS, etc out of my earnings. Im so tired of being part of the working poor. This glass ceiling is closing me into the Bell Jar!

The cover of Business Week features a woman, looking haggard and tired in professional clothing with the headline "Americas Working Poor". I read the article; it just made me depressed. At least I have health insurance. I didn’t for years in my twenties. My teeth rotted out, and I lost a bunch in the back. This is really a disgrace here. Minimum wage is what 7.50? Who can live off that? How is that determined? Where would you live? Couch surf? Or is that a minimum wage for a high school senior living with the Brady Bunch family?!?!

Im tired of having to work 3 jobs, and still beg for my child support payments, and live off credit cards each week. I would like to earn what I think I deserve, I worked hard at college, graduated top of my class. Maybe I need to read the Bell Jar again and get more depressed. What is life for a smart, educated female? Trapping a husband to support you? Being a secretary to some asshole who will sexually harass you?

BIG RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive